Wednesday, May 29, 2013

peas

sweet peas are amazing,
long ago they were called food of the gods,
they use to be popular with home gardeners like tomatoes are now,
and I love them,
I planted a row of them in spring, and birds ate all but one plant to the ground,
so I replanted and this time put chicken wire over the top to keep out the birds,
and now I have peas.
they need to grow when it is cool out,
you can plant them very early in spring and they can take frost, in early spring when the ground is wet you really don't have to even water them, so they can be super easy to grow.
they grow best in 70 to 80F temps, and seem to be able to take almost up to 100, but are no longer setting flowers ...

here is one of the last flowers on the sweet podded plants

they are not going to stand up in a row,
so the row next to them will hold them up, or they will just be on the ground,
you could make something for them to grow up on, and that works, but I am not going to go to that kind of work to take it down later and I want the space to grow other things when they finish.

all the pictures so far are of a sugar podded kind that you can eat the entire thing,
but I also grew some of the very cold tolerant kind,
and they have pretty flowers
here they are
and here are the peas it is making
I am fairly sure that you need to cook this kind first before they are safe to eat,
and they are mostly used to fix the nitrogen in the soil,
they make a great ground cover in the winter.


now time to do laundry

No comments:

Post a Comment