Thursday, May 23, 2013

potatoes

potatoes are great,
and there is a neat trick to planting them even in a city,
you take any flat surface (like concrete )
set the potatoes on the surface, 
and you put about 6 inches of rotting leaves over them and water them,
here is my current attempt at it

this plot of land has no fence on it,
I figured that not much eats the potato tops (as they are toxic), and I am low on extra fencing,
and I cant keep the gofers out of the soft organic matter or even trap them in there, (I am hoping the noise maker I have there will keep them out)
the other issue with my plot is that I did not use concrete, I just used very hard dirt (and that part should be fine),
and I did not use the leaves, I used wood chips and the dirt that was under them (leaves are high in nitrogen)
I hope it works out as well as it did when I tried it last time,
last time it was super easy to harvest (you can pull out the potatoes without hurting the plant) and they grew very very well,
and next year I will do it the correct way.

just remember that potatoes are super fun to grow almost no matter where you live (I even grew them when I lived on a boat)


here is a blue jay that visited me while I watered the potatoes last time (right in the center of the picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment