Tuesday, May 21, 2013

reply to comments

it will not let me reply to my own comments...
I can deal with that, I guess, don't know why it is not letting me.
here is my reply to the last comment

I have no garden layout but will try and get one to post
the squash is pollinated by bees, so about 1/4 mile works, but I will be doing anything critical by hand, they bloom all season as they set more fruit, so not critical timing there,
the corn should be planted intermixed to cross as it pollinates by wind, over 30 foot away and very little will cross, and the timing is critical on that one, and I just planted all short season kinds at the same time, and I just hope it will cross well enough with the timing, they are are likely adapted to frost to some amount, so also finish at about the same time in order to have lived in the same kind of cool areas, or at least that is the hope.

and to the previous one about the soil,

the better water holding capacity of the soil is mainly to keep the plant happy after the plant would otherwise dry out (it is hot and dry here), and not so much due to soggy soil, but the wood chips buffer the soil so it will work each direction (dry or wet) but charcoal in larger amounts is a better thing to use if your soil is to wet

No comments:

Post a Comment