Thursday, September 5, 2013

calories

so it use to be that economies were calorie based, so all the prices tend to follow that,
but with subsidies and other insanity all that has changed,  now you get charged for minerals in the food and not for the calorie count.

it is bad enough that phrases like "empty calories" is popular, it is like saying empty fuel...
you need fuel to run on,
and if you are growing your own food you can't live on greens,
you will likely get way more than enough of that kind of thing if you are eating what you grow because it is harder to grow calories than it is greens.and I am not saying not to eat or plant greens, it is just that you have to shift your thinking from our modern insane economy to one that is based on calories



so when trying to grow a survival garden, think about how to get more calories (most people at this point try to not have them, and I know, it is nuts they have to do that)

looking at what I have grown so far, I should have at least 300 pounds of butternut squash (almost 200 already picked) and might have more by the end of the year,
now I don't have any corn or potatoes for reasons already talked about...
and I don't figure that my garden berries and other tiny things will have a super large calorie count, so I am going to ignore them for now.

so from this web page, I find that 205 g of butternut squash is 82 Calories
google tells me that 205 grams = 0.451947637 pounds
so  I should have 54431 Calories
that woks out to 149 Calories a day if I try and live on it for the year,
see why you need to be thinking about a high enough calorie count ?

so I will be growing winter grains as they tend to do well with having high calories,
also will be replanting more potatoes, and trying to figure out other ways to get more calories






No comments:

Post a Comment