Monday, September 23, 2013

quality

so I got some clover seeds,
I need nitrogen and organic matter in the soil, and it will do that for me,

so I got one at a local nursery and the other at home depot,
now they look identical so far,
but lets look at the stickers at the bottom
the one I got at the local place is 99.95 pure seeds, with a 94% germination rate, and that all sounds good.

the one from home depot is 38.16 pure seeds with 90% germination, it says it is 40% walnut shell and 20% some sort of seed coating...

the instructions are the same on each one, but clearly you are getting 0.94 pounds of seed that will grow with the one, and  0.34 pounds of seeds that will grow in the other, and that seems like the one will work for a much larger area than the other, so how can the instructions even be the same ?

so I wonder if home depot is ordering extra low quality seeds in order to make more money,
I understand lot numbers being slightly different, but adding fillers is a lot more than just the lot number,
and the lot number is not even the same format.

so with all the questions I have, I called the company and asked,
they say that there is a big shortage of clover seeds and that is the only way they can keep selling it, and they have contracts to keep selling it,

and the date on the lower quality one is later than the other one,
I have noticed the price on it going way up lately, so maybe that is it...
but I will sure be watching anything closely I get at home depot as well


so check your labels each time before you buy
or just grow it yourself if you can (hard to do that the first year)

now for home made and home grown things

No comments:

Post a Comment