Monday, August 18, 2014

cucumber issues

so I planted cucumbers this year,
I really like growing them,
I like going out to the garden and being able to get food I don't have to cook,
but the deer started eating the plants,
so I set up a fence to stop them,
it is not much of a fence,
just 3 foot tall, but it is right on top of the plants, so it works,
the issue is that it was suppose to be there for only a few days,
maybe 4 days at most, 
a bigger fence was planned, and it would have worked,
but I made the error of letting someone else have control of the project,
and it is still not done,
now the issue is bigger
the cucumbers have climbed up the small fence and now I have to leave it,
seems like a small issue, but it is not,
I can't get to the cucumbers on the far side due to the fence,
I need some to go to seed, so it was fine for a while,
but now many have gotten quite big where I can't reach them,
and the plant quits producing if it has enough places for the energy to go,
so I will have hundreds if not thousands of times more seeds that I will need next year,
and I have no new cucumbers for at least a while this year,
things are out of balance,

so just remember to plant your cucumbers so you can harvest all of them (until you want one for seed)

next year I am putting the same fence up, but it will be in the center of the row so the cucumbers can climb up them and I can get to each side, they should all be super easy to find that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment