Friday, August 29, 2014

deer

the deer keeps eating everything,
I allowed the fence project that should have taken 2 days to be in the control of someone else,
and it has been most of the summer now,
so much of the garden is gone now I wonder if I should even bother watering it anymore,
I am kind of happy the deer is getting food,
but going to so very much work to just feed the deer is not worth it at all,
even if I was going to eat the deer it was just to much work, 

the sorghum grain heads were ripening from the outside in,

and were close to being done, but not totally done,
I am sure they are good enough to sprout next year so I am not that worried,
either way I just picked them all before the deer figured out what they were,

the deer ate half of a rather large pumpkin,


the next day it finished that one and started on the next,



and already finished off several water melons,

it seems to love eating the sweet potato leaves,
ate about half the tomatillo plants, so no large harvest like I was expecting,
likely made sure I will not get another cucumber this year
ate 3/4 the one tomato plant I had,
 leveled all the potatoes,

there are 2 good reasons not to have your compost pile right in where you are growing food,
one is that the mold will get to your growing plants and hurt them,
the other is that it will attract the wild life that will find the rest of your garden because of it.
by the way, someone else is adding the compost there

the really sad part of this is that it is time to plant beets and turnips and other fall things before the soil cools off and they will not sprout,
and because of the deer and lack of fence I have no where to plant it all,

now that I have figured out how to really grow plant easy here,
I have no real hope of doing so because of others.
it has been 2 years here and I am not really closer to any of my goals, only thing that has changed is that I spent my money on food while not growing my own, and due to that can no longer can buy things like fencing and other things that could have got the first year that would have let me grow my own food way easier, it is all still possible, but way harder, hard enough so that my heart is just not in it anymore.

the lesson with all of this ?
 
deer like your garden as much as you do and can eat more, also they don't harvest as to not pointlessly kill the plants.

don't trust others that can block projects (even if they are trying to help)

don't bother planting anything you can't defend,

and don't think about how hard things are when you only got 4 hours of sleep.
things should be better with more sleep, I am sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment