Sunday, June 30, 2013

hand tool care

I left one of my small shovels outside as part of a gopher trap setup,
here is the rust on the end that it got on it after 2 days
I did dig some dirt with it in an effort to take the rust off,
but could not get it all off (as seen in picture)

here is a shovel the is owned by someone else and lives in the garden outside,
it is totally rusted and the wood is decaying,
only took it only a few years to end up that way (I am pretty sure it was 3 years).

this shovel is a year older and used way more
no rust and perfect handle (as in no chance of splinters when using it),

my secret to keeping my hand tools from wearing out pointlessly early ?
it is washing them,
drying them if needed (only in winter),
and putting them in my shed.
just rinsing them off and keeping them out of the rain and sun will do a huge amount for longer life for them,
my tools they will be 10 years old when others have replaced what they have 2 times, and mine still look and work perfect

now time to eat my first cucumber from the garden !

No comments:

Post a Comment