Thursday, January 30, 2014

deep frying

I like french fries,
and a big deep fryer is a pain and uses lots of oil,
and I had one for quite a few years,
but then I saw a native making them at a Peruvian restaurant,
and he had just fried them up in a pan with a bit of oil in the bottom,

so I usually make them in a pan now,
I use to use a 6 inch cast iron skillet, but the sides are not that tall and oil splatters everywhere,
then I changed over to a dutch oven, (click to see what they look like)
I think it is the 4 quart, but maybe the 6
I put about 1/2 inch of oil in it, 
it is about right for one potato at a time,
and the walls are high enough so that the splatter only ends up in the pan,

it is just a neat solution to the total mess that full size deep fryers end up being.

No comments:

Post a Comment