Monday, January 6, 2014

refrigeration

refrigeration is a big deal,
modern people use and rely on it due to electricity being easy to get,
but many people seem to rely on it lots,
enough so that they have set what they eat assuming that it will always be there,

there are many refrigeration setups that use no electricity,
and I used one last winter,

take a break for a moment
google has decided to change things,
so I can't post the pictures I have...
I seriously want to change blog locations due to how much they mess with things (mess them up that is),

so I have a 5 gallon bucket cooler
kind of like this one,
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-Bucket-Cooler-BC18COL/203867911
and I have 2 quart canning jars of water and a thermometer in it
I would put one canning jar outside over night, and leave one in the cooler,
it use to lightly frost most nights here last winter (and winters before that)
and some nights it would get colder and I would put the jar under cover,
either way it would be at about 34F each morning,
so early morning I would put that jar in the cooler and take out the other jar,
and it kept my cooler at about 40F all the time,
it works great for cheese and eggs and other things that need refrigeration

long ago I looked at the not possible refrigeration to keep power to after the grid went away,
and started to look for alternatives,
and found that the culture in india was made before refrigeration, and most of it still does not use it,
so if you just shift your diet a bit, then you don't have to worry with refrigeration at all,

but what worries me this winter is that it is to warm to use my cooler like I did last year.
(and most everywhere else is way to cold to use it like that)


1 comment:

  1. Should get cold into january.. Decembers always seem warm here lately.
    there is the peltier effect. And india seemed to have evap style clay fridges. Maybe.

    Most food ppl ate long ago worldwide was either fresh and raw, cured, fermented, cooked or rotted lol

    ReplyDelete