Friday, January 31, 2014

planning

so I have been going through my seed listings,
and thinking about what I like to eat, and what grows here,
and I made a list of what I would like to be growing,
then filtered the list by how much water I likely have for the summer,

and I have a big hole in my plans,
you have to plan for crop failures,

here is what I have so far in an ideal year with all the water I want

squash (all winter types)
     Styrian, pepo family, grown for the seeds (I want cooking oil and arganine from it)
     walthum butternut, moschata family, grown for main calories of the year
     tennessee sweet potato, mixta family, grown because I like it and it is another family that will not cross to the others
     hopi pale grey, maxima family, grown because it also will not cross with the others, and seems to grow well

potatoes (already in my root cellar, not even sure what types they are anymore)

southern peas, Tepary Beans, or common beans, I am not picky, just what ever does the best here,
     mississippi silver has produced well here for a while now
     or if it is going to be a cool summer, I will grow the rattlesnake bean as it has also done well here in the past (but not in the hot summers)
     or the Yoeme Brown tepary beans, they look like they should do well in my area, but I have not tried them yet.

onions
     I'itoi's Onion, tiny bunching ones for flavor
     some bulbing onions, I am still trying to create a local version...

yams, they are just great, my tests went well last year, so time to grow lots more,

corn,
     mohave white flour, I just want enough to make tortillas about once a month, so a small plot
     my corn breeding project as well

tomatoes, just the currant kind, they thrive almost anywhere and have huge production,

parsnips, I just love them and want lots.

cucumber,  I like having one fresh out of the garden for breakfast when in season, one or 2 plants is just fine, but will pickle them if I have more.

sorghum
     grain type to feed to chickens (if I manage to get a place to keep them), I have many to test.
     I want to grow some sugar to make kombocha tea, so I am thinking some cane sorghum, but am up for other kinds of sugar to grow, but not sure any others will be easy to grow here.

peas, I have already planted the edible pod sugar/shelling peas from seeds I saved last year.

radishes, I use them like turnips and boil them.

and a few herbs and spices,
basil, cilantro, dill, oregano

things to play with this year,
     quiona, 4 types to try,
     prozo millet
     a few melons, I can't eat them, but other people love them, still trying to choose.
     still debating on growing the miracle barley seed set, get them here, but might wait for a safer year as they will not sell you the same seeds a second time, so plant half at first and make sure you don't have a crop failure.


still thinking about what to cut out for the low water summer as my first plan for it is not that great.


No comments:

Post a Comment