Wednesday, December 4, 2013

perennial crops

the first hard frost is suppose to be in a few hours,
and runner beans are perennial if the roots don't freeze,
and perennial crops have lots of energy in the spring,
they keep the energy in the roots, 
they start producing way faster than annual things,
they are not as hard to establish as trees and have lots of the advantages,
but you do need a stable place to grow things, if you keep moving they are not so ideal.

I planted 8 plants, only 2 survived the high heat and only the one made a good harvest,
got quite a few pods, no idea how many good seeds will be in there yet,
but as long as I keep the roots warm enough I will have a great early producing plant in early spring,
so I put wood chips and leaves about 6 inches over the roots, I hope it is enough, I will add more tomorrow for the colder weather that will get here tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment