Wednesday, December 11, 2013

tomato types

tomatoes are the fashionable thing to be growing lately,
a hundred years ago it was sweet peas,

so there are so many types of tomatoes available now it is ridiculous
here is the fancy one I tried this year, and it was most of the tomatoes for the year.
they were not tried by choice as the seeds were mislabeled...

but they did not grow super well,
they had big issues with end blossom rot when others right next to it did not, 

the cherry tomatoes do very well for pounds of production per plant,
the most I have had is about 80 pounds a plant,
and I wish I remembered the variety name it was,
but it was in the 1990s that I grew it, and it was easy to get then,
so it narrows it down to a few of them,
and I bet it is the "sweet 100" type, and not the "super sweet 100" that is similar,
here is an interesting history page on them
http://www.tomatodirt.com/sweet-100-tomato.html
it is claimed to be a hybrid tomato,
but I saved the seeds for it many years and they grew true to type,
but clearly the seeds have been mislabeled, and I do have backup seeds, but there is not enough room to go through my seeds properly here,
so I am just going to just start over with new seeds from the store,

I might grow lots of other types as well
I have copies of all the seeds that wild boar farms use to sell (15 types )
http://shop.wildboarfarms.com/
but they seem not to have any of the ones I got from them earlier,

I like pretty ones,
but large production is my goal,

the roma tomatoes are the good paste tomato, but they don't grow well here,
so maybe I should keep looking,
there are so many tomato types out there now that I should not have to make my own,
but the cherry tomatoes might work just fine for making the tomato sauce I want...
will have to test over the summer because it is still cold here



No comments:

Post a Comment