Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Brodiaea flower

so the Brodiaea wild flowers are all over right now,

and they are pretty close to an onion,
they are more spicy,
and the bulb grows about 4 to 6 inches deep,
the bulb is small, but large enough to bother with digging up, and the bulbs are bigger the second and third year (especially if they don't get to set seeds)
they reproduce from seeds only,
they are flowering now and in a month there will be dried seeds dropping, 
and last year I took the seeds from the plant (small black seeds that look like small onion seeds) and spread the seeds all over,
now there are large areas of them,
the gophers seem not to eat them (likely to spicy (the wimps)),
and in season it is easy to find them (the stem from the flower leads the way as you dig)
I have only eaten them raw, but I am sure they would cook well,
I think I want a larger plot of them, and I will be planting them as soon as seeds are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment