Saturday, March 15, 2014

drying squash

so the squash is getting older,
and some will likely store till this fall,
but I am loosing them in storage faster than I was,
so it is time to preserve them all,
 
I started by peeling them,
then I started slicing them, but quickly figured out that this takes up lots of room on the shelf,
so I started spiraling them, and I can fit way more on the shelf that way !
the trick is to get it thin enough so that it drys before it molds,

so why drying ?
drying vegetables preserves the most nutrients of any method,
also drying uses very little energy (pressure canning uses the most energy)
and it needs no refrigeration to store (unlike freezing)
salting things puts your salt intake up high enough to cause colon cancer (use to be very common but almost vanished after refrigeration was common and people stopped salting food to preserve it) 
so it seems to me that drying wins,
and if not I am doing it anyway.

and in other news,
the spring was 1 foot below the overflow point, so that is 5 foot below the top,
and now people around here are cutting back the weeds,
so due to allergies I am stuck inside for a while...
it would have been nice to get a day of warning before they started so I could set up things to do inside, 
I wonder how many indoor activities I can do with what I already have inside

if anyone wants me to visit them, tell me now,
vacation is also a good way to not have any allergies

No comments:

Post a Comment