Tuesday, March 11, 2014

terraforming

so I am still waiting for summer, but it is spring here already,
and when the sun gets high enough in the sky to hit my garden plots, then I can plant a garden,

a real survival garden is not possible here at the moment,
I am still relying on the well and electricity or a generator to get the water out,
spring is the time to grow things here,
root crops and grains, the gophers are not even an issue this time of year...
and the ground is wet enough to grow most things without any watering,
the problem is that the trees are all tall and block out the sun in the winter and spring,

the area needs some terraforming
even if it is just the top of a tree taking off,
or  moving metal items that are in the sunny growing spots,
or adding fenced areas in the sunny spots,
either way it needs work,

I am kind of annoyed that it took me a year to prove this,
I wanted to do it first thing, but was unable to get others to let me,
but I am prohibited from doing it unless food really does end up unavailable at the store, 

so here i am needing 2 solutions for newly found issues,
one is what am I doing here now ?
the other is how do I grow food fast enough to make sure that I am ok if I can't get food from the store and I am allowed to terraform the area.

for the first issue I have decided that I will focus on the garden seed company even more and quit trying to grow all my own food.

and the second is actually not that hard,
radishes will almost grow faster than starvation,
and they will grow almost any time of year here,
you can eat them as sprouts as well,
and I have 2 pounds of seeds (or maybe it was 4 pounds)
so if I plant them first, I will give me time to grow other things that are season dependent, and get to harvest before starving,
now you may ask how anyone can live on radishes for any length of time,
and the answer is simple,
boil them !
they taste lots like turnips that way.
and although not ideal, it is a workable plan.

you might be able to tell that I am still board waiting for planting time...

No comments:

Post a Comment