Tuesday, March 25, 2014

grain growing update

so I planted some grain last fall
and the plan was to use it as a cover crop,
it is developing seed heads
so far I spot 2 grains so far in addition to the nitrogen fixer


I don't see the oats yet,
but then they did all get snow cover that killed off all of them in some areas,
so maybe the oats all died...

at any rate, they are about to make seeds,
and that is when you are suppose to till them into the soil,
but I kind of want the grain now,
I am not going to be doing much with this plot of land any time soon,
and I can fix the soil by mixing in leaves,
so I think I am just going to let the grain mature,

this also means that I can grow grain here in the winter and get a harvest without any irrigation,
and it is pretty easy to do as well, 
and I am kind of excited about how well it has worked out.



No comments:

Post a Comment