Tuesday, July 23, 2013

silverline melon harvest

ever had a silverline melon ?
I harvested my first one today,
I got the seeds from one I bought at "berkeley bowl west" last summer and saved them due to it being pretty good, but never saw them for sale again (but did see someone with some in sacramento this summer)
I measured mine at 14% BRIX, so it is not that sweet, but still good, and it is very crisp,

here is one that is not yet ripe
when it turns color it is ripe (like in the first picture),
they say it stores for a week or 2 after being picked, but seems to store just fine on the vine.

here is the plant growing (stressed by heat and lack of water, I fixed that after taking the picture)
the plant is lots like a cucumber plant, but just a bit smaller, so grow it the same way and it should be fine.
a few places have the seeds if you are looking
sustainableseedco
seedsavers
burpee
cherrygal

but the real thing I wonder when thinking about this plant is how many other neat plants are out there that I have no idea that they are out there.
I suspect there are many undiscovered plants out there even with how hard I look for them.


and here is the sunset as I finished watering the plants (they might get better in the fall)


No comments:

Post a Comment