Saturday, July 27, 2013

sugar cane / walnut

here is my sugar cane after growing so far this summer
it only has a few leaves living on it at all,
but the turmeric in the bottom of the pot is doing great,
I think that the sugar cane will get to be a house plant again as it did ok that way.
so could be the wrong kind of sugar cane,
or could be that sugar cane will likely never be a good crop here without lots of work

the walnut trees are doing great,
here is one that a squirrel planted in a pot of mine,
and I took that pot a few hundred miles and put the tree here.
some leaves were turning black so I started watering it again,
if it ends up being anything like this tree (planted by the same squirrel a year or two earlier)
then it will soon need no water at all and will be doing fantastic

my point is that not everything will work well,
so plant lots of types of things

and unrelated,
when the sun hits your hoses it can heat up them and the water in them quite a bit,
here it is often 165F and that is hot enough to burn you and the plants,
so I have to run the water until it cools off, and it seems like a waste
the solution is to put a few inches of dirt over the hose,
and here is the other end
I know the hose I put under ground looks a bit odd, but that is because it is irrigation drip line that has hose ends on it, but I also do it with regular hoses and it works great
way less burning hot water...



No comments:

Post a Comment