Monday, August 26, 2013

fractional winnowing

so I have a millet that is wild in the garden, it has choked out all other weeds, and grows with very little water (but it does need some water), and I like that part of it.
it came from the bird food and went nuts from there, (it seems to be a foxtail millet)
but over the last 5 years from it's escape it has gone from large dense seeds to light wispy seeds,
it is now growing to reproduce, and not to do what I want it to do,
so I want to fix that, (yes I want more plant slaves)

and I think that fractional winnowing is the answer
most winnowing only separates the grain from the chaff,
but I want way more than that,
I want to sort the seeds by density while also getting rid of the chaff, so I want fractional winnowing
(zero matches to that phrase on yahoo or google before this post)
so I got some stiff paper to make narrow bins with
they are 1.5 inches wide and 8 inches wide for the first 9 bins, then I got tired and made them wider (they are under the narrow bins in this picture)

so I set up a powerful fan and the bins with walls to keep the seeds from leaving to the sides
with all my bins in a row I turned on the fan and put the seeds through it
the first bin was empty (the seeds are not made of lead)
the second bin had seeds that I am still not sure what they were (maybe some rocks in there or crazy mutants)
the 3rd bin had many dense good seeds
the 4th bin had less dense seeds and some sand
the 5th bin had some clearly wild seeds that are not doing what I want at all
the 6th bin was just sad
the 7th was just as bad
and the 8th was a wide one (or I counted wrong as there should be 9 narrow ones), and was just chaff and some seeds trying to get my attention
so I took all the seeds form bin 3 and saved them
the others got tossed out on the ground where they can be happy weeds,
after a few years of sorting this way I hope to get better seeds from this millet.
(prozo millet might be better to grow anyway)


here is a cat trying to pretend to be growing like a weed


No comments:

Post a Comment