Tuesday, August 6, 2013

how much to plant

I think I mentioned this before, but not in detail,

the question of how much to plant is a good one,
some people say to plant as much as you can, and this is likely a very good plan,

but I think it can be figured out a bit better,
this year I planted what should have been enough potatoes to feed me for the year,
I already talked about what happened here and how not to repeat it.

enough cornmeal for the year (like cornbread once a week for the year, but not enough to live on)
and once again it failed and I know why (I tried to get away with to much here)

and enough squash for everyone
there are about 90 squash so far and adding about one a day
and I still have the other squash plot, but no new ones there in quite a while,
but they are not producing nearly as much as it could have,
and I know why and can fix it for next year,

so what am I saying about how much to plant ?
plant enough of 4 to 5 things that each will be enough food for what you need for the year,
and between the failures and other issues you will likely have enough

and the things like onions and spices that you plant will help, (and mine did well this year)
but likely you can't live on them


No comments:

Post a Comment