Wednesday, November 6, 2013

grinding herbs and frost

so the quality of herbs that you buy can change lots,
especially with low price ones,
lets take "saw palmetto" it is about 33 $ a pound just raw in bulk,
and if you get it pre ground, it is easy for them to just add something else into it to save money,
I am super gluten intolerant, and something was bothering me, and it seems like it was "low quality" products, they were likely adding wheat into them, or any grass in them would hurt me just as much,
so I bought some that were not ground up yet (harder to hide what it is that way if it is not pure),
and just to let you know, some are very very hard to grind in a mortar and pestle
but I eventually figured out that a grain flaker works great for grinding up things like that
I think I got mine here
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/grain_flaker_oat_flaker_oat_roller.aspx
but remember it being about 60 $
so if you take anything that you can grind yourself, but have not done it due to how hard it is,
now you know the trick to doing it.
and the cheep mills like that do not make flour out of grains very well, even if they say they do, but they crush small amounts of things great. and also will make flakes from your oats you grow.

so a light frost hit last night,
and it appears as if it just killed off the squash some, almost all the leaves are wilted,



I expect them to die over the next few days, but we will see,
and everything else seems fine.
the new prediction for the next frost is on monday


and it is very hard to deal with my broken laptop keyboard...

No comments:

Post a Comment