Saturday, November 16, 2013

potato harvest !

about a month before I moved I found some very very tasty potatoes for sale at berkeley bowl 
I wanted to eat all of them,
they tasted like butter,
the claim was when I got them that they were dry farmed, and that is why they were so good.
at 5$ a pound I did have some high expectations, and the potatoes sure met them.
so I did not eat 10 of them,
I saved them to grow,
and grow them I did.
being nervously paranoid about planting them in the potato patch (at rightfully so as they all failed), I planted them in the regular fenced plot in good dirt.

I harvested quite a bit from my 5 foot long row, and they were crispy like apples (I cut through a few when harvesting, so I had to eat them right then)
and after eating some, there might be something to that dry farmed thing, they were good, but not spectacular like they were from the store when I first got them.

I still have more potatoes growing, but these had died off already,
they have a lifespan, they grow and die (usually 45 or 90 days for potatoes), and it does not matter if it is still good weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment