Thursday, November 21, 2013

planting grain

so it is pretty easy to plant grains,
it is most of what I planted for cover crops,
pretty much you just till the land, spread the seeds, and rake the seeds in to the ground.

here are the shoes I made to keep my feet clean and safe while tilling,
they worked better than I thought, at least after I learned to walk in shoes with a non flexible base
the tilling was annoying,
I was trying to till in the organic matter from all of what I grew over the summer,
and that clogged my tiller bad
so I got the bright idea to cut all the vines into 6 inch sections, and my hands hurt from it a day later, and
they just got spun them into a sort of cord that then wrapped its self around the tiller and jammed it just as fast...
I had help to do cut the other vines at the other plot, but they could not do it and they just cleared the vines, and that was a way better solution (thank you for the help, I would have never got it all done before the rain without the help)

here are the plots after planting

I just tilled things to break up the soil, it does not need to be deep at all, raked it flat and spread the seeds and raked it in,
I spread the seeds with one of these
http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/handygreen-2-hand-held-spreader/prod70438/
I tried 2 rakes, and it did not seem to matter what kind it was.
the point is just to get the seeds under the surface, seeds usually will not germinate on top of the ground,
and it is because they dry out over the ground, so raking them in does it pretty well.

and then it rained to water it all,
and it is raining again tonight

and this cat kept curling up to the silverline melon I left on the porch, no idea why


No comments:

Post a Comment